Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Moldy Oldie

a public apology to my parents 

A few years ago my parent’s pool started growing this strange black algae.  At first, we could use a brush to scrub the sides and it was clean up pretty well.  But over time the algae got stronger and less resistant to cleaning, that or we [I] got too lazy to scrub.

Apparently, the algae is hard to clean because it grows under the hard shell that lines the pool ... so chemicals are almost worthless.  It’s all about harsh scrubbing.  Eventually they had a pool crew come check it out

middle of the re-model







The crew told my parents that this particular algae is usually found in the river and that something must have transferred and exposed it into our backyard.  The pool guy did what pool guys do and recommended the “splash factory” be refinished. My parents immediately focused their attention to me and my raft… my sweet, innocent beloved raft. 
das boot







“Das Boot”, my 12 foot inflatable and I had been spending summers in the river for a few years at this point.  They blamed me for putting my raft into the pool.  I denied any such accusation.

Over time the algae got worse.  The pool got dirtier.  They had no choice.  It was time to re-finish the pool.

The backyard became a construction zone.  They decided to demolish all of the surrounding concrete and do a full backyard makeover. 

the finished product
The.[now] finished backyard looks amazing and the pool is better than ever.  In a way, I think that floating in my raft in the pool was helpful and should possibly be rewarded?

Up until this point I have denied docking my raft in the pool and taking naps in it.  Well mom and dad, you were right.  It was me. I wasn’t as innocent and I claimed to be.  At 30 years old I have learned my lesson.  I won’t do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment