Wednesday, January 11, 2012

costumes over the years











Mexican Drug Lord: That night I was a cowboy. But the next day I saw this picture. I feel like I look menacing, which is why I now claim I was a Mexican Drug lord. This is basically an outfit I would wear any day, except I added a holster and a fake mustache. 














60’s college student: A friend of mine had a WTF party. I of course had a million great ideas of what to wear. I didn’t follow through on a single one.  The day of the party I realized that my lack of planning was probably going to negatively affect my costume. I panicked and used what I could. A mustard-yellow cardigan, blue shirt, vans and a UCSB beanie with a pom. You see the results. A weirdo with a beanie on. It is what it is.









 
Bjorn Borg: Calling this costume Bjorn Borg is probably a stretch. But 70’s tennis player? err, maybe. The shorts were short. The shirt was tight. I had a track jacket, a wig and head and arm bands. Tall socks and the Rod Laver Adidas’. It was the best I could do. At one point I wore an afro and called myself John McEnroe.  

Gorilla Cowboy Sheriff:  I bought this full size gorilla costume months before Halloween.  Finally October arrives and I put it on. Dude. It was like 105 degrees in there. No way was I wearing it outside the house. But the mask, hands and feet were useful. I brought back the cowboy hat and holster, only this time I put on a badge. And I became a gorilla cowboy sheriff. (Although, actually that badge says Marshall on it.)










Greenman: “Holy shit dude, how long have I been wearing Greenman.”I went to this really badass party in San Francisco this year. We stayed at the Marine’s Memorial Hotel.  There were all sorts of distinguished guests staying there; I don’t know how I weaseled my way into a room.  One of my favorite memories of the night was, while wearing the (extremely tight and revealing) costume we shared an elevator down with some legitimate Marine Generals.  They had nothing but disgust and discontent for me.  Then we had to walk to the streets of San Francisco looking for a cab. It was interesting. But like I said, badass party.  The mask was really stifling so I barely wore it. Definitely posed an issue while drinking beer.  Rambo and Captain America were there too. 


 
Elvis: Again, not as cool as I had planned. My awesome friend Kellie took my polyester jump suit and bedazzled it for me.  I went from ordinary to a little better than ordinary in two.point.two. I wore the rings. I wore the glasses. I wore the scarf.  I dyed my hair. Still, this was it. A little disappointed, but nothing the one beer I had that night didn’t fix








 
Magnum, P.I.: Probably one of the best ones I’ve ever done. Tiny shorts, boat shoes, Hawaiian print shirt, Tigers hat and a sweet pairing of a mustache and aviators.  Also, a cool black wig. It was cold that night. We were at an outside party in October. But it was all so worth it.  My homage to a great American icon and hero. 



 
Cameron Frye: what a horrible choice I made here.  As you can see, my buddies’ costumes were all well thought out and turned out pretty awesome. My driving cap, redwing’s jersey, khakis and boat shoes just did not all come together as cool I had hoped. No one got it. I did wear an Army shirt and suspenders underneath. 







Hagrid: “You’re a wizzzard, Harry.”














 
Toga: this wasn’t a Halloween party, obviously. I was in college and threw my first toga party. Amazingly, people came! It was so fun. I would throw another one in a heartbeat. 
















Spiderman: I was young. Times were different back then. Costumes were meant to be tight. I’m pretty sure that this particular spiderman costume was made for 10 year old boys. But I squeezed myself into it and the outcome was priceless.  Ron Burgundy was obviously impressed.
















Gecko:  Bought this sweet Gecko costume a few months before Halloween. It was a “just-in-case” outfit. The day it came was probably in the top 5 best days in my life (obviously I live a boring life).  I haven’t got a chance to wear it yet, but here is a preview.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty sure I see buttcheek in your toga outfit, who hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete